An incredible new Mecha Battle Royale title is currently in development and the team behind it is looking for an exceptionally skilled Principal Technical Artist, to guide the creation and improvement of the art production pipeline.
You’ll naturally be a hardworking, self-motivated team player who can integrate seamlessly into our team and studio culture, be able to work closely with the Technical Director and Art Production Director, and to champion the needs and requirements of the art team across every discipline.
You’ll be passionate about art production pipelines, asset management, and organizational file structures and naming conventions. You’ll be championing them with the art leads and enforcing them through a mix of reviews and validation tech, as well as ensuring that all art production flows through the Tech Art infrastructure.
You’ll bring your excellent verbal and written skills, with the ability to take critique and give feedback to external partners, as well as fully participating in group discussions.
In this position you’ll be working within a multidisciplinary team of developers in a global community and will have the ability to both share your hard-earned knowledge and continue to develop your skill set by learning from your teammates.
The Principal Technical Artist reports to the Technical Director.
What will you do?
- Create, improve, and enforce the use of art production tools and pipelines across every art discipline
- Help define Tech requirements by doing Tech Reviews with the Art Leads, and from those, help them come up with well-formulated requests for new tech / shaders
- Question tech requests before they are actioned to ensure that they are asking for the right thing
- Work with the Tech, Tools, and Graphics disciplines to ensure that new requests are appropriately assigned to the right people
- Push the bar on quality for all art production tools and innovate with new tooling
- Work closely with the Art Production Director to ensure that all high-level art goals can be met, and that long-term Tech dependencies are anticipated
- Work closely with the Technical Director to ensure that any impact on the Art department by Tech decisions or changes are anticipated and can be actioned on if necessary
- Train and mentor colleagues in the department. Share experiences, evaluate ideas and approaches used.
What are we looking for?
- Proven experience with Unreal Engine 4 (or above) with at least one full production cycle behind you
- Proven experience building art production tools for 3ds Max, Substance Painter, Substance Designer, Maya
- Expert knowledge of art pipeline and infrastructure development using Python
- Expert knowledge of all industry standard art production tools (Substance, Max, Maya)
- Strong understanding of modern rendering pipelines, with the ability to help art leads prototype shaders in Unreal to serve as an example or prototype for the Graphics team to refine
- Expert understanding of performance optimization techniques and related software, including Renderdoc, Pix, Unreal Insights, and how to turn findings into actionable changes and improvements to the art
- Strong Blueprint scripting experience in Unreal to assist in building editor tooling for the art team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong drive to champion the art team’s interests with other departments
- Motivation to cross discipline lines and identify problems in other areas that might have an impact on the art team
- Strong experience with version control systems (Perforce, Git) and ability to teach the essentials to artists
What additional skills will help you stand out?
- C++ skill with Unreal would be a strong bonus
- Expertise in shader development and creation is not a must but would be a help
- Experience with procedural content generation tools like Houdini Engine